There are so many things I "just have to remember forever" that I didn't write down or record on a blog and I already regret it. Two years in, there is so much I've missed. I have some catching up to do.
Today I want to record some of the things Declan is doing now that he is really two.
-----------------------------
Some of the funny ways he says some words:
-Buppy or Boppy is Ball. He's been calling it this all along but I think it's a term of endearment because he definitely can say "ball". It just sounds so silly and cute when he says it, I know I'll be sad when he stops.
-Mee-mow is Mickey Mouse. It's what he calls it when he wants to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse which has been a constant request since we returned from Disney World. Definitely his favorite show of the moment.
-Mom-may is what he calls me when he's being a silly willy and really wants to get my attention. He yells it "MOM-MAYYYY" Which I pretty much always respond to with "Yes, Declan-ay?" Which makes him laugh and I love it.
-When he wants to go outside it's "Oww siii" But to come inside it's just "siii" This probably just means I need to work with him more on his pronunciation of these words. Is it weird to admit I sort of hate correcting him? If I understand him, does it really matter right now? (probably...)
Other little things he does right now that I don't want to forget:
-When we go outside to play "buppy" he usually means he want's to play golf. I bought a small bag of plastic golf balls from Target and I should have bought two. We lose them in the bushes every single day. What I love about this is that I line the balls up and he gets his club and one by one, gets in his stance and whacks the ball as hard as he can. It's adorable. My Dad is an amazing golfer (so I'm told, I haven't exactly been on the course with him in years) so I know he'll be glad to see D go to town when my parents visit next week.
-He loves puzzles. He has loved puzzles since he was about a year old. The chunky wooden ones with 4-5 pieces were his favorite. By 18 months he could do more complicated wooden puzzles and now at 27 months old he can easily complete his 24 piece puzzles by himself. He has completed one 35 piece puzzle by himself but usually I divide up the edges and give them to him in sections so he doesn't get overwhelmed. We also have a 60 piece puzzle we love to work on together, first we do the edges, then I give him other parts of it in sections and he just loves putting it all together. He has to be in the mood but when he is, he has an amazing attention span.
-He's obsessed with musical instruments, especially the drums. Right now he is just drumming on everything, including his drum. He loves music (as all toddlers's do) and dancing, but right now smacking along with the beat (sorta) on the kitchen chairs is one of his favorite things. It's fun to see him trying to pick out the beats and really grove along with the songs. However, I imagine his little hands get sore.
-He's crazy about painting. I think I messed up by never getting him finger paints because he does not like to get paint on his hands. He's finally over needing his hand washed immediately and will spend some time carefully smearing the paint from his fingers onto his painting. He loves the regular gloppy crayola paint, and smearing it around with a paint brush or two. I prefer water colors (less to clean up), he has his own set, the colors are all mixed together (and have been for months and months) but it still makes great paintings and he loves it.
The not as great things that come with being 2:
-The two year old molars have been the most painful and it feels like they have been coming in for forever. For a few weeks he woke up multiple times a night every night, it was hard for us as we have become accustomed to sleeping through the night most of the time.
-The tantrums. It's begun. They are ugly. They come with out warning. He has had a few massive fits over little things like "no more marshmallows" "no more mee-mow" "we're not painting right now" etc. Full on throwing himself on the floor and screaming and fake crying like there is no tomorrow. I know it's fake because after a few of these fun episodes I took my mother's advice and got down on the floor next to him and hollered and fake cried. He stood up, looked at me like I had 3 heads and moved on with his day. It may be an unconventional way to deal, but it felt really good and they've been few and far between since.
So he's really 2 now and while there are so tough parts, it's so much fun. He's learning at lightening speed, his speech is improving on a daily basis at this point and we just love hearing what he thinks and what he has to say. I'm sure in 3 months when he's 2.5 he'll have changed a lot and I hope I remember to write another post then.
No comments:
Post a Comment